Just looking at the beautiful deep yellow color of Turmeric and Ginger Tea makes me happy!
Here’s a simple adaptation of the Ayurvedic recipe for Golden Milk to nourish your body and soul with all the goodness of Turmeric and Ginger.
Make it, drink it, and feed your body pure liquid joy. No wonder Turmeric and ginger tea is called Liquid Gold!
benefits of turmeric
Turmeric’s beautiful yellow color is found in many recipes: curries, my grandmother’s achars (fermented vegetables), and even the classic American hot-dog mustard (I think I only put it on food to enjoy its beautiful color!)
The turmeric we eat comes from the rhizome of the Curcuma longa plant. It is known as an anti-inflammatory and antioxidant. Turmeric also stimulates immunity. Its active ingredient, curcumin, is the subject of numerous laboratory studies that show its preventive effect on certain cancers or on Alzheimer’s disease.
benefits of ginger
The ginger rhizome (Zingiber officinale) is also anti-inflammatory and antioxidant. Ginger helps calm nausea, so reach for the ginger if you get car sick or having morning sickness. And Ginger is also known to be aphrodisiac!
It’s also a gorgeous tropical plant, with beautiful and colorful flowers and leaves.
What happens when these 2 rhizomes meet in your cup? Liquid Gold Fireworks! The perfect hot drink when the weather is wintery or when you’re coming down with a cold.
Liquid Gold Recipe for Turmeric – Ginger ‘Tea’
For 1 cup
– 250-300 ml of water (1 cup)
– 1/3 to ½ teaspoons of turmeric powder (if you’re not used to its taste, start with ¼ of a teaspoon)
– A tablespoon of fresh ginger -sliced or chopped- or ¼ to ½ teaspoon ginger powder
– A pinch of ground black pepper (black pepper aids the absorption of turmeric)
– A squeeze of lemon juice
– Your choice of sweetener: honey, agave syrup (my favorite, because it dilutes better), maple syrup, stevia, powdered sugar … Or no sweetener at all.
You can also use fresh turmeric! Use a heaped tablespoon of chopped or sliced fresh turmeric. Enjoy its beautiful yellow color, and just remember that it may stain your clothes!
How to make Liquid Gold Tea
– Add turmeric, pinch of black pepper, ginger and water to a small saucepan.
– Bring to a boil and simmer a few minutes.
– Turn off the heat.
– Cover and infuse about ten minutes.
– Pour into your cup (use a sieve if you used sliced ginger or turmeric).
– Add honey or syrup.
– Add a squeeze of lemon juice.
– Enjoy with all your senses!
The classic Ayurvedic recipe is made not with water, but with MILK, hence the name “Golden Milk”.
Try it too! Instead of water, use milk, and omit the lemon juice. According to Ayurveda, the best is to use cow’s milk only – and full fat please!
If you don’t mind bending this rule, you can play around and replace cow’s milk with your choice of plant-based drinks (soya, almond, rice, oat milk etc).
I’m a total tea and infusion gal. So for me it’s WATER and water.
I drink my Gold liquid, and I love it.
You must be logged in to post a comment.