It’s cold, flu and sniffles season! Say no to winter bugs and boost your immune system with Bridge Pose, Setu Bandha Sarvangasana.
BRIDGE POSE FOR LYMPH CIRCULATION
The lymph plays an important role in the immune response. It transports white blood cells, picks up pathogens it finds on its way and bring them to the lymph nodes, where they are eradicated.
Unlike the blood -which is set in motion by the heart, lymph doesn’t get pumped to circulate. It moves mainly under the action of gravity and muscle contractions.
In other words: Move your bod’ to move your lymph. Bonus points if you get yourself upside down to get stuff moving even more!
In Bridge Pose, Setu Bandha Sarvangasana, not only are you moving your body, you are also going upside down! This gets your lymph to flow from bottom to top, collecting all the little germs and delivering them to the lymph nodes. EXPRESS.
BRIDGE POSE FOR BREATH AND DIGESTION
Setu Bandha Sarvangasana opens the chest: your breath deepens and nourishes your body fully, allowing your immune system to function optimally.
Also, Bridge Pose stimulates digestion. And a happy gut eliminates pathogens better. Be sure to pamper your digestive track with yoga!
HOW TO DO SETU BANDHA SARVANGASANA, BRIDGE POSE?
– Lie on your back, arms at your sides, knees bent and feet on the floor at the width of the pelvis.
– Press your feet and arms into the ground.
– Lift the pelvis and direct your tail bone to the back of the knees.
– Interlace your hands on the mat, if you want.
– Keep your thighs at the width of the pelvis, and continue to direct your tailbone towards the back of the knees.
– Lift the sternum.
– To get out of Bridge Pose, release the interlace of your hands and release your spine to the floor one vertebra at a time.
Go Deeper: Take care of yourself with:
– Boost your immunity with turmeric-ginger tea! (to be posted soon -still translating!!)
– Go upside-down! All about the benefits of inversions, and Downward Facing Dog, one of yoga’s favorite inversions! (also soon to be posted)
– Get your lymph moving with these 3 Postures for Energy (yay! Already translated!!).
– Open your heart more with Bhujangasana, Cobra Pose!