Are you frightened or fascinated by snakes? Uncover your inner yoga snake with Bhujangasana, Cobra Pose!
What is Cobra Pose? What are its benefits and contraindications? Tips and tricks to be the Snake Queen!
WHAT IS BHUJANGASANA?
Bhujangasana comes from the Sanskrit “Bhujanga”, the Snake. Bhujangasana is often referred to as Cobra Pose, because in Asia the cobra is the Snake King!
Cobra or not, the Snake is a mighty symbol: the snake in the Garden of Eden, the magic Naga in Asian mythologies, the hooded cobra protecting the Buddha in meditation, the Kundalini serpent energy that lies coiled at the base of the spine, the Rainbow Snake of Australia, Quetzalcoatl the Aztec Feathered Serpent, and many other SSSSSS.
How can you honor the various aspects of the Snake? Well, by doing Bhujangasana, Cobra Pose!
THE BENEFITS OF BHUJANGASANA
– Stretches the front of the body: the chest, the shoulders, the belly and the groins.
– Tones the back.
– Stimulates digestion.
– Stimulates the lungs.
– Makes you positive and happy!
– Done properly, Cobra Pose lengthens and relaxes the back.
– Opens chakras 4 and 5. Tap into the energy of the Heart (Anahata Chakra) and the Throat (Vishuddha Chakra)!
Yep, all that rolled into Cobra Pose! Let’s do this!
HOW TO DO COBRA POSE?
1 – Lie belly down.
2 – Place your hands under your shoulders.
3 – Bring your elbows close to the body.
4 – Press the tops of your feet and your pubis into the floor.
5 – Press your hands down and reach your chest forward and up.
6 – Gradually straighten your arms, hug your elbows close to the body.
7 – Draw your tailbone towards your heels.
8 – Lift the sternum to lengthen the torso.
9 – Release the shoulders. Hiss! I mean … breathe!
TOP TIPS FOR BHUJANGASANA, THE COBRA
I CAN’T STRAIGHTEN MY ARMS IN COBRA!
Do not force your back into a backbend if your back is saying no!
– Place your hands in front of you (instead of under the shoulders).
– Place your forearms on the floor, elbows bent, and do Cobra here.
MY BACK HURTS IN COBRA!
Try these tips to lengthen your back:
– Really draw the tailbone towards the heels. In other words: don’t stick your bum out (it compresses the lumbar spine). Imagine you are a big cat, and bring your tail forward between your legs.
– Keep your elbows bent (see the 2 modifications above).
If with these tips Cobra Pose is uncomfortable, stop and get advice from a teacher in person!
MY WRISTS HURT IN COBRA
Wrist strain, carpal tunnel syndrome? Try Bhujangasana with elbows on the floor.
CONTRAINDICATIONS FOR COBRA POSE
Avoid Bhujangasana if:
– You are pregnant!
– You have back issues and Cobra Pose makes the pain worse.
– In case of disk degeneration.
– If you suffer from important intestinal problems.
I feel very SSSSnaky, do you?
– Flaunt your Bhujangasana in this 7 Chakra Mini-Yoga Practice! (coming)
One thought on “OPEN and TRANSFORM with COBRA POSE, Bhujangasana”
Comments are closed.