It’s back to work or school! Kick the post-holiday blues with these 3 energy-boosting poses and take care of the person who matters most to you: YOU!
YOGA FOR ENERGY
Need a morning boost to get you started? Or up your energy levels mid-afternoon? The answer is YOGA! Roll out your mat in the middle of the living room or in a corner of the office, and get your yoga on with this mini ENERGY sequence.
QUICK YOGA FLOW FOR ENERGY
Utkatasana, Adho Mukha Svanasana and Virabhadrasana 2 energize the torso, legs and back. Hello Body!
They also ground you down into the Earth and anchor you in your body and the present moment. Look no further for the perfect energy fix (and forget the coffee!)
Ready for a break? Flow from Chair pose to Downward Dog to Warrior 2, on the right, then on the left and be energized!
1. Utkatasana, Chair Pose
– Start in Mountain Pose, Tadasana, standing nice and tall, feet parallel.
– Bend your knees, as if you were going to sit on … a chair!
– Draw your tailbone towards the floor and lengthen the spine.
– Reach your arms out in front of you or above your head, as you wish.
– Breathe deeply.
2. Adho Mukha Svanasana, Downward Facing Dog
– From Utkatasana, place both hands on the floor and jump (or walk) back.
– Draw the torso backwards and raise your tailbone to the sky.
– Straighten your knees (all the way, or keeping them slightly bent).
– Draw the heels towards the floor. If they do not go all the way, that’s great, stay just where you are!
– Lengthen the arms, from the wrist to the shoulders.
– And breathe!
Go Deeper: Downward Facing Dog is such a classic yoga pose that it has its very own post! Check out all the alignment details of the pose, Downward Facing Dog’s benefits, contraindications, and great tips for a fierce Adho Mukha Svanasana!
3. Virabhadrasana 2, Warrior 2 Pose
– From Downward Facing Dog, step your right foot forward.
– Open the left foot to the left, and turn the torso to the left.
– Keep the right knee directly above your right ankle.
– Reach your arms out at shoulder height.
– Lengthen both sides of the torso.
– Turn your head to the right, and gaze at the tip of the middle finger (this is the classic Drishti) or gaze past your fingers.
Now complete the Energy Mini-Flow to the LEFT:
– From Warrior 2, change sides! come back to center, then do Virabhadrasana 2 on the other side.
– From Virabhadrasana 2, place your hands on the floor and step back into Downward Facing Dog.
– Then jump or walk forward, and sink your hips down into Utkatasana.
– Come back to Tadasana, Mountain Pose.
– Notice the energy pulsing through you, filing your body, mind and breath with beautiful luminous waves! You are ready to make your biggest dreams come true!
Go deeper with:
– The story behind Virabha, the warrior honored by Warrior 2 Pose and check out how to harness all your power in Virabhadrasana 2.
– For more flow in your life, ease into the Happiness Meditation. Tune in to your happiest holiday memories and let post-holiday stress melt away.
Wishing you joy and energy!